Subscribe: Apple | Android | RSS
No guest this week! Episode 18 is a two-part solo show in which I talk about my daughter, Skye, who was stillborn in 2019 and what I’ve learned during my first year of life after loss.
Part 1 of the episode is split into three segments:
- My pregnancy with Skye, feeling reduced movements and finding out she’d died. (5:43)
- The “in between time” between finding out she’d died and going into hospital to give birth. (22:35)
- Skye’s birth. Having to give birth on the main labour ward, feeling numb and not knowing what to do. (32:13)
The second part of the podcast deals with grief, loneliness and Skye’s legacy.
Part 2: Grief and Legacy
In Episode 18 Part 2, I talk about my experiences of grief and depression, the loneliness of baby loss, searching for hope and how we’ve chosen to remember Skye. I also read out the letter I wish I had been able to give myself a year ago, in the weeks following Skye’s death. A letter of reassurance from my future self.
This part of the episode is split into four segments:
- Grief, depression and searching for happiness. (1:48)
- The impact of loss on friendships and relationships and how the Covid-19 pandemic brought feelings back to the surface. (29:56)
- Podcasting, fundraising and Skye’s legacy. (49:00)
- One year on – a letter to my past self. (1:00:55)
If you have any feedback on the show, suggestions for guests or would like to share your story, you can connect with me on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/footprintsonourhearts/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/skyesfootprints) or email email@example.com. If you enjoy the podcast, please leave a rating or review on your podcast app!
Don’t forget, there’s still time to enter Skye’s birthday giveaway! You can win a copy of the book, These Precious Little People, a gorgeous eco-friendly candle personalised with your baby’s name and a beautiful bookmark.
The giveaway is open until midnight (UK time) on June 3rd and you can find details of how to enter by looking for the giveaway post on my Instagram wall – @footprintsonourhearts.
If you’re not on Instagram, you can still enter by sharing a link to the podcast with your friends on Facebook (or in a Facebook group) and emailing a screenshot of your post to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This podcast is part of Skye’s legacy – to share your stories and help people who’ve ended up in the baby loss club feel less alone. By taking part in this giveaway, you can help me reach the people who need it.
- The giveaway prizes can be shipped to anyone in the UK. If you’re outside the UK and would like to enter you can and I’d love your help spreading the word – I will find an alternative prize if your name is drawn to send to you.
- You can choose to gift the book to a friend or an organisation such as a hospital or charity (please make sure they’re happy to receive it).
- Candle can be personalised with your choice of name/message up to 25 characters.
- Giveaway is open until midnight UK time on June 3rd and I’ll announce the winner in my second podcast episode with Frankie on June 5th.
- Giveaway is not affiliated with any company or Instagram.