Subscribe: Apple | Android | RSS
In Episode 34 of Footprints on our Hearts, I welcome my first Canadian guest! Leigh Niwa’s daughter, Winry, was stillborn just a few months ago at the height of the covid-19 lockdown in Canada. Leigh’s experience of pregnancy, loss and grief has been overshadowed by the global pandemic that left them isolated and alone.
In the interview, we talk about:
- Leigh’s complicated journey to deciding to start a family later in life (8:30)
- The pandemic hitting, how this affected Leigh’s antenatal care and the lost opportunities to enjoy the final weeks of pregnancy (25:10)
- Going into labour and finding out Winry had died (37:58)
- Making memories after Winry was born (50:05)
- The impact of covid-19 and lockdown on Leigh’s grief and loneliness (57:04)
- Remembering Winry – lions, setting her free and terrible cakes (1:03:58)
You can connect with Leigh on Instagram at @elldot.niwa.
You can support the podcast and help me keep putting out weekly episodes on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/footprintsonourhearts.
If you have any feedback on the show, suggestions for guests or would like to share your story, you can connect with me on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/footprintsonourhearts/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/skyesfootprints) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you enjoy the podcast, please leave a rating or review on your podcast app!